May 14, 2007

Suns - Spurs Round 2 Game 4

This is telling. The referee crew working this game consists of Joe DeRosa, Steve Javie, and Jack Nies. This is a VETERAN crew. The league isn't messing around with this game.

2 Q 8:43

Where were Diaw and Marion? They're supposed to be Leandro's back up on that match up. If one of those two had cut off the drive, Barbosa wouldn't have fouled. Bench defense needs to pick it up.

2Q 2:49

Looks like the Suns are finally getting some marginally favorable calls. I say "marginally" because they seem to be either-way calls. They're showing better patience on the offensive end, which I think they need to get the Spurs moving. If the Suns have to play half court, they can still tire out the Spurs for a nice fourth quarter run. That's how the Suns have won the two games against San Antonio this year. No reason to get away from it now.

Upon further review, it was indeed Boris who did not protect the paint on that Ginobili drive on Leandro.

Addendum to the referee observation: These are three of the biggest egos in NBA officiating. These are all guys who won't take crap from anybody, even if they make the wrong call. They don't usually do make up calls, but they will call it evenly. These guys are in here to cut down the whining on both sides, and to prevent any postgame complaints. Put it this way - if Joey Crawford weren't suspended, he'd be in there instead of DeRosa. Not the hothead, Duncan-tossing Crawford. The one with 30 years experience and something like 14 Finals appearances.

3 Q 7:05 OK. I take it back. That was a make up call.

Defending the three point line. What a novel concept. I wish the Suns knew it.

4 Q 18.2

Oh, look at that. Horry can't handle losing to the Suns at home. Guess who's going to be sitting in a bar watching game 5 on Wednesday night.

I ask again...

Who's in whose head?

Well would ya look at that - Suns have home court advantage again. But the really important thing is that they beat the Spurs in San Antonio, coming from behind after playing a sloppy three quarters. And the Spurs players were none too thrilled.

I wonder who will miss game 5, though. Horry should. Diaw maybe, and Stoudemire, as well? I hope it's not as bad as it looks.

*Update:

I'm pondering a few different article ideas, and I'm hoping for some good material by morning. I would love to do a "fuck you" entry for anyone in the media who said the Suns should shut up about the calls, but are now going to question the Suns' favorable calls tonight.

I would like to point out, however, my second quarter update with 2:49 to go. Allow me to pat myself on the back and say, "Nice call." The Suns finished the game on a 12-1 run.

No comments: