April 21, 2007

Two Little Words (Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics)

I wish the Suns would piss me off. I'm more on my writing game when I'm ticked at somebody's general stupidity, and the Suns just don't bring that out of me these days. Don't get me wrong...I'm grateful to have such a likable group of guys representing us in the NBA, and I would never take it for granted. I have a long memory, and trapped in there are images of Robert Horry's bad attitude, Oliver Miller's fat ass, Marbury's selfishness, and Charles Barkley's all of the above.

Maybe it's just the culture of Phoenix. I don't know if any Suns team (or Diamondbacks or even Cardinals team) has raised the ire of fans in the history of the state of Arizona -- bad ownership and management notwithstanding. We're just too nice here. After all, this IS a state where drivers actually stop for jay-walking pedestrians. This is a place where bad guys come for redemption, and once they leave, they're back on America's Most Wanted (again, I'm looking at you, Chuck).

We're far too forgiving of guys on our team. At least we know how to hold a grudge. Well, at least until the player is offered a front office job.

If I can't be pissed at the Suns, maybe I can get pissed with them (in the American sense, not the Australian sense). One thing that's always been lacking from our sports culture is that Fuck You* attitude that comes with being openly disrespected.

The Suns can't play defense.

FUCK YOU!

The Suns style will never win a championship.

FUCK YOU!

Nash didn't deserve his MVPs, and shouldn't get a third in a row.
You get the idea. They seem content to be underestimated and under-appreciated. Maybe it's the laid back personae of D'Antoni and Nash that permeates the locker room and pressers that keeps things on an even keel. Maybe it's a holdover of Jerry Colangelo's family friendly environment. It's not like the Suns don't have players with those attitudes. Witness Raja Bell.

Case in point: Why did Kwame Brown get away with this? Sure, the officials were in their own little La La Land on the play (and most of that series, until Raja made a point to expose their deficiencies), but someone on the Suns team should have either a) sent Brown into the third row, b) ripped his jock off on national television, or c) clotheslined him on the next trip down court. I have a feeling that the incident wouldn't have even happened if Amare was on the court. At the very least, I like to believe that Kwame would have found himself in the third row, regardless if it happened.

All I know is that this team needs to understand one thing -- they're only the sexy pick to win it all, and no one outside of Arizona really expects them to succeed. I have but two words for all those people who don't stop for jaywalkers, and I hope the Suns start to express it for all of us.

No comments: