September 26, 2007

Job Satisfaction

It took four months, but the other size 16 finally dropped.

And now the message boards are flooding with speculation, criticism, and outright insanity - sometimes all three at once. But that's the Internet, and we should be used to it by now. I'm just dropping in for this to talk a little bit about finances, namely Shawn Marion's, and the Bizarro World notion that money = respect.

To counter that notion, I will simply offer that, if money means respect, then Michael Jackson must have held those little boys with the highest of regard.

The simple fact is, money has never been mentioned by anyone involved. If I recall correctly, the three year $60 million deal he's supposedly looking for was mentioned by reporters speculating on what Shawn would want after making over $17 million in his final year.

To my knowledge, Shawn has never mentioned money, nor has he ever really been asked about money. And now he's on record as saying that it isn't about money. That means that it is a combination of two things, and two things only.

1. The constant trade talk. It's enough to make ANYONE feel unwanted and unappreciated, regardless of the financial situation. Which brings us to the real reason this happened.

2. The extension. Shawn has been saying all along that the front office hasn't been willing to discuss it. For all they know, he's perfectly willing to take a pay cut (maybe even enough that Kirilenko suddenly doesn't look like such a bargain by comparison). I certainly don't know, but I'd like to believe that Shawn has that understanding of his situation.

What I'd LOVE to hear through all this (but it's NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER going to happen) is Marion's voice saying loudly enough for everyone interested to hear, "I'll even willing to discuss taking less money than my current contract."

But "it's a business".

I'm so sick of hearing that from athletes these days. It's the standard answer for any question of a player's commitment and loyalty to a team and its fans.

Well, if we're all so clear that it's a business, then why is it such an affront to anyone's sensibilities that the highest paid player with a rapidly approaching contract date on a team hemorrhaging money (the newest addition to my hyperbole collection) due to the luxury tax and a $77 million payroll is the first one mentioned in EVERY trade proposal that comes along?

(Inside voice says: Hey, Shawn...your salary this year alone represents 22% of the team's payroll. That's Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant territory. And you're the third fucking option. Yes, Shawn. It's a BUSINESS. Now act like a professional.)

Shawn insists, though, that no one really understands him - that people who don't even know him are making assumptions about him. Obviously, I am one of them. That's never stopped me from writing or speculating about him. I've been more than generous in my defense of Shawn and his apparent moodiness, mostly because I'm confident in my knack for "knowing" people, even if I don't know them.

"Knowing" Shawn Marion as I do, I can only throw up my hands at the latest news, straight from his own mouth.

I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff.

Yes? Is that a sign of betrayal, or a sign of good business sense? You're worried about an extension that the Suns, a SMALL market team, can't really afford to pay.

They found a taker who was willing to work out that extension. Not only is that good business, it shows that they do respect Shawn enough to find him a place willing to overpay for his services.

At the time, everyone was killing a deal to go to Boston. Did we forget the talk about how Boston is unkind to black players? How they're in a losing situation with no end in sight?

Did we forget this?


So what about it, Shawn? Would you rather be a 30-point scorer and an MVP candidate on a lesser team, say, one only flirting with the postseason, than the sidekick to the sidekick in Phoenix? "Wow, that's interesting," he says thoughtfully, as if he's never entertained the prospect before.

Marion pauses nearly 10 seconds to concentrate on the question. Only the muted sound of late-afternoon traffic outside the two-story living room breaks the silence. He fiddles with the remote as if it holds the answer. "I've never been asked that," he continues. "That would be an interesting situation to be in, to really show people what I can do.

"But we'd be in the playoffs, right?"

Gee. Didn't see THAT one coming back to bite him in the ass, did we? That article came out a month and a half before the NBA draft.

And there it is.

It's not about money. It's not about business, professionalism, or the sheer stupidity of not recognizing what an enviable basketball situation he is in. One thing that article taught us is that Shawn does not want to lose.

As long as "we'd be in the playoffs, right?"

Apparently, Shawn's enviable situation isn't so to him. He'd sacrifice winning for the right amount of losing, so long as he's the middle face on the team's official website somewhere.

Oh, and let's not forget that extension, so it would have to be permanent.

Yes, I understand Shawn Marion's state of mind on this (as far as I know), but it is such a skewed version of reality that no contract extension or amount of money or championship rings will fix it. (I don't question Shawn's sanity, just his perception of reality. Of course, that's usually the first sign.)

At any rate, Marion has stood firm in his quest for the ever-elusive quality of "respect". It has come to the point that only he knows the definition of that particular word anymore, because by most popular standards, Shawn Marion is one of the most respected players in the league - by fans, coaches, and even the media.

I think that everyone is wrong when they say that Marion will regret leaving the Suns. I think he understands exactly what's at stake. We have to understand one thing - some things in life are bigger than others, and only we can decide our own proportions.

Apparently, Shawn Marion places his job beneath himself (which is as it should be, in my opinion). He seems more concerned with righting himself than winning a title. And that's fine by me. It would be selfish to want Shawn to stay just so we could win a championship, when even that probably won't make him happy.

Like any family, we need to let Shawn go and find himself, or at least figure out what the hell he wants out of all this basketball stuff. A few more years, and he won't have it anymore. I don't think he really cares. He has other interests that are bigger than basketball, and it's time for the fans, the organization, and the media to accept that.

Marion treats basketball as the job that it is. The thing that sucks about it for him, I'd imagine, is that it's the only outlet available to him to express himself on a large scale.

So it's come down to this. I accept and understand that Shawn Marion may not be a part of our team this entire season. At the very least, barring a miraculous Dr. Phil moment, this is the last season we will see the orange and purple number 31 mad-dashing up and down the court at the Purple Palace.

End of an era, or just the beginning?

11 comments:

JSun said...

The "bad marriage" remark he made was interesting. In my experience, the only saying they need to go their separate ways is usually the person who stopped trying (for whatever reason(s) -- right or wrong).

Jey said...

Good point, and probably true.

Jennifer5489 said...

In some respects I agree with you (as usual), but at the same time I am getting really sick of trying to figure out what's going on in this dude's head. I feel like I've woken up from bad dream and every time I see the headlines I think, 'Oh shit, it really is true'. I still can't believe this is happening. I just want to see the end of this and know what's going to happen right now!!!! Not fair!

Jennifer5489 said...

OH, and another thing. I just thought of something...I have no idea WHY he would do this, but could he be trying to piss off fans? I mean, he has got to know much most of us hate Kobe, yet the guy proclaims he wants to play with him? How does he expect us to react to that? It's like the ultimate betrayal, not just against the Suns, but against fans. And that's not cool. Then again, my feelings would probably hurt right now too...but I guess that is what makes me a girl :)

Phoenix Stan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoenix Stan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoenix Stan said...

And I thought I was the only blogger at risk for being "too kind" to the Matrix (I wrote this yesterday). :) This is the second great article I've seen today on the "both sides of the story" perspective. The other was written by jk-1 (posting as JSun) on my site this morning (find it here). Nice to hear some other viewpoints besides just "Marion's a jerk, let's get rid of him" (not that that isn't a perfectly valid, perfectly understandable, and reasonable way of looking at it because it is).

JSun said...

To be clear, I'm not trying to be "nice" to Marion. My little entry was just an analysis of the situation. There's still a large part of me that wants to kick Trix square in the nuts.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has admired Shawn over the years and I think we are getting a little sick of hearing him complain about getting no respect. The only way to satisfy him is to give him all the credit for everything and the only way he will get that is play with a lousy team.

Sarver is the one that brought this to a head. It should be obvious he wanted to unload Shawn's salary and the best way to do that is to show Shawn no respect. He has accomplished what he wanted to do and that is to make money on the Suns. I am sure his financial health is failing because his companies are building and mortgages. Want to bet the Atlanta pick will be sold next year, especially if it is a lottery pick?

Jey said...

I think that the speculation about moving Shawn started with the JJ situation. People forget that JJ had a good second half the year before, so it was hard to justify putting all that money into him (when he was the fourth option) the first year.

But that's what happens when You have a big contract on the verge of expiring.

Jey said...

Silly me not finishing a thought...

Had a good second half, which is never enough to judge a player (see Marcus Banks)...